I got a several emails about sewing with linen... so here are my tips:
- I wouldn't use raw linen in a quilt but really just because the Essex linen is a blend which makes it softer with a nice drape.
- I don't use starch when I'm piecing with linen. If you pin well and let your sewing machine do the work, linen is pretty easy to work with.
- I typically use a scant 1/4" seam allowance when I'm piecing. But with linen, because the weave is a little looser, I use a true 1/4" seam allowance.
- I don't prewash my linen and I have never had any problems with shrinkage.
- P-R-E-S-S your seams and blocks. Ironing with a back and forth motion will distort your blocks. This is also a good general rule of thumb for quilting with any kind of fabric.